1 Chronicles 28:1-29:30; Romans 5:6-21;
Psalm 15:1-5; Proverbs 19:18-19
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. ~Abraham Lincoln
1 Chronicles 28:1-29:30
Today, David passes away after a long and productive life. Before his death, God's perspective is that we should see how this tremendous leader ends his days on earth. Here is God's perspective on how to be a godly leader of men and a gracious elder:
- Claim God's promises with humility. Vs. 2-4
- Appoint a successor to follow in leadership. Vs. 5-7
- Encourage people to rely upon God, obey Him, and follow His plan. Vs. 8-10
- Hand over the plans to your successor with humility. Vs. 11-13
- Provide materially for the success of the plans, even though you will not personally benefit from them. Vs. 14-18
- Give God the credit for coming up with the plan. Vs. 19-20
- Be an encourager. Vs. 20-21
- Lead by example in sacrificial giving of your wealth. ch. 29:3-5
- Have top advisers lead by example with you. Vs.6
- Praise God and lead in the worship of God. Vs. 10-14
- Pray to God and glorify His name. Vs. 15-19
How can you lead by example in your life?
Today, the Apostle Paul indicates that Jesus came to earth at just the right time. When all people were utterly helpless to defeat sin, Jesus comes to die. Here is the famous verse, "While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." It is with the blood of Jesus that we are saved from God's judgment.
Paul establishes that sin entered the world through Adam, the first man. Adam brought death through his sin. Jesus brought forgiveness through his death.
Paul contrasts that God's gift of forgiveness given to many is very different than Adam's curse given to everyone. Adam's sin brought the world death, but Jesus' death brings the whole world triumph over sin and death, forever.
Another way Paul says this is that because one man disobeyed, many people became sinners. But because another man obeyed God, many people will be made right in God's sight.
This is accomplished because of God's kindness.
Have you accepted God's gracious gift that is given out of His kindness?
Entering God's Holy Hill requires righteousness. We learn today that this righteousness is found through faith in Jesus. Are you able to enter God's Holy Hill?
Discipline prevents ruining a child's life. An undisciplined child is quite miserable.
What did you notice today?